Skip to main content

Positive Mental Attitude: What’s the point?

Earlier this week I was interviewed on the radio about my recent surgery to remove my bladder. Towards the end of the interview, following glowing words from my partner, the interviewer asked if I was a “tough cookie”? I went on to proclaim how I had been thrown a lot of challenges,  I was a big believer in positive mental attitude and how it had got me through a lot. Since that interview, I have reflected on my words. I have been praised a lot for my positivity, it’s something I pride myself on in fact but I wanted to take a deeper look into why I think it’s useful? Does it actually make a difference in terms of recovering from an operation for example? Or is it all airy-fairy and trying to defeat the inevitable?

Did having PMA help when I was lying unconscious during my surgery? Could it have prevented any of the operations, the cancer diagnosis or other medical complications in the past? The answer is unequivocally no, of course it couldn’t. It wasn’t even that I smiled as I was told the news, spurting out positive metaphors for life giving me lemons and just getting on with it. There were moments of it being shit. Did I have a sense of self-loathing, of a dam of negativity bursting through every pore in my body? I certainly did.  The important part was to let it flow and leave the bloodstream and me entirely, before allowing the positive thoughts in.

I think acceptance is one of the most important things. I don’t question “Why me?” My immediate thought doesn’t shift to dramatic terms such as “I will beat the battle” or “Climb the mountain”: at first it’s almost a casual, all right then that is the way it has to be. It almost sounds too relaxed, but I don’t believe once you are told bad negative news there is much more you can do. You have to listen, be attentive and prepare for whatever might come next. I have left most of my appointments when I have been told bad news with a reflective silence. My head is a jumble of complications, but it’s important to breathe, accept the news and try as much as possible to soak in the moment, as well as the news you have just been given. There is no sign of positive songs just yet, just a low level hum, as the news processes in your mind.

Then comes the attempt of logic, trying to make sense of it, another hurdle one can easily fall down on, but again it’s in those moments a sense of chill can be so important. What am I going to tell work? How will I pay rent? It seems so easy to perpetuate these into impossible paths to cross, but there will be answers. It is in these moments you have to for the first time try and find positives from anywhere and start building up momentum on your track of positive thinking.

Once that is done, something that has helped me a great deal is openness. This may be personal to me but I have always found being open about what is going on and the situation itself, is another way of it making it clear to you. Whilst a shared confusion does not give you any answers, it can almost be reassuring. For me, being told I would have my bladder replaced by part of my bowel didn’t seem to make sense.  Yet it seemed to be that way when I told anyone. That shared moment, made me realise that this was strange but that was okay, it was okay to feel strange about it. I was never going to be able to make sense of it but that was okay itself, it automatically made me feel better and lead to another reason to feel better about the situation.

At no point yet have I needed to pull out inspirational quotes and yet this has built so many key foundations to me being positive and dealing with it. Another thing is trying to embrace it. I tried not to be daunted by what was coming. I was lucky that I was given good instruction and information on my most recent operation. In many cases you may well be heading into the unknown especially with a new diagnosis, what I try and promote is not hiding away. Try and hear what is coming at you, the kind of things that can help. In so many instances knowledge can help, leaving you more prepared and with reasons to be confident and positive about what lies ahead. With my condition, Neurofibromatosis Type 1, there is a life of unknowns that is ahead, but it’s not daunting, I know what can come of it and don’t let those thoughts dwell for too long. All those things help me lead a happy and positive life, for there’s no reason for it to hold me back from doing anything.

As well as being open, embracing and soaking in news, I believe honesty with yourself is a great asset. Does this have to restrict you? Can you still do certain things? The greatest example for me was last year. I had a CT Scan, the results of which showed a unusual tumour in my body. They wanted to do further scans to investigate. This was an example when I wanted to be negative. On the very same day I found out about the results, I had been offered a new job. I wanted to shut the doors in on everything, and ask myself, why me and why now? On a job I had so desperately wanted? I then took a moment. It was possible the further test results would mean I needed another operation and time off. But I so wanted to go for it. So I thought positively, and thought of the best and worst-case scenarios and none of them had to impact me taking this job. So I phoned them up and asked to meet. I explained the situation and was open and honest and they understood. They said they would support me and stood by their offer. On both occasions I was incredibly lucky. The subsequent scan proved the tumour was benign and I was particularly lucky to have such good employers to be moving to but it stemmed from positive thinking. It would have been so easy to reject the job thinking the time wasn’t right or about what might have happened but in reality, it all worked out. It didn’t work out because of positive thinking but from being positive about the situation itself and making the most of it .


That is the thing with positive mental attitude; it’s about planting it into the roots  and foundations of everything you do. Its why I lead a positive life, why I believe I can shine a positive light at difficult situations, I truly believe it has enhanced my life and made those dark days better and the bad news easier to process. It certainly doesn’t save lives but it makes them so much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The blog about losing a bladder and having my first wee in seven years!

In life, there are a number of things we can all accept being lost or replaced. Most of us replace our phones every two years, we might update our technology, buy a new chair, perhaps a new car. Those are things that are easy to process and accept. As someone who has a complicated medical history, its not completely surprising when I have been told, ‘We have to remove a tumour, we are going to cut this out.’ It makes sense, whilst I don’t expect a shiny new replacement   I know my body will be a better place without it. However when I learned I was going to have my bladder not only removed but also replaced, well that did leave me slightly flummoxed. I will rewind my story a little bit. Seven years ago, hours after finishing my final exam at university I became increasingly unwell. This culminated in a trip to hospital and many more trips followed all relating to urinary tract infections. By the end of the summer of 2012, I was left unable to urinate naturally at all. This in itse

Words

I have always had a wonderful relationship with words. I have devoured books for as long as I can remember. As well as my love of consuming words, writing is also a crucial part of my existence, be it in my journal or a blog post. However when it comes to words to describe my medical conditions I have had a rather different experience. I have had two stories with my urology condition that have left me rather bemused and distressed as I try to unpick and make sense of them. My first experience was one my most bizarre in my journey around the many departments I’ve been to in the NHS. There had been so much confusion about what was going on downstairs, I had now been self-catheterising a few months, without being quite clear on why it had actually happened? Nobody quite seemed to know and I believe this was as a result of seeing numerous different departments. I arrived in the Urology Department at the Leeds General Infirmary, hoping to avoid the nurse mentioned in a previous blo